Sunday, September 17, 2006

Upon further review . . .

The observation has been made that last week's NFL results were an outlier in almost every way.

Ah, the rash musings of those wandering "the internets."

It has long been one of my main articles of belief that the team that runs the ball more wins most of the time. It seems to hold up at a 75 percent rate in College games, and a slightly lower rate in the NFL.

Last week teams that ran the ball for more yards went 11-5. That's roughly 69 percent. Exacty in line with my expectation.

However, I did find a very interesting tidbit. The New York Giants outrushed Indianapolis by 131 yards. I anybody wants to slog through NFL box scores to find the last time a team out-rushed it's opponent by 100 yards or more and LOST, be my guest. I suspect it has been a while.

I'll have more on this later, but right now suffice it to say I think it would take 3-4 turnovers to of set a rushing differential like the one the Giants had, and they were only -1 on the turnover column.

Ok, go watch the games. Good luck in your office pools.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home